Friday 7 January 2011

Applique . . . Done!

Ready to baste and quilt . . . yahoo!!!


AND since this is the PhD that I hated the fabric that I had used, and the whole thing had been stuck in the bottom of the stack . . .


 . . . I'm pleasantly surprised to say that I'm beginning to think that it might be growing on me.


The turning point was the cream centres in the flowers that have tied the whole thing in with the light colored squares in the quilt top.

Kinda surprising what a little bit of applique can do to a ho-hum project.  Of course the jury is still out until the quilting is complete and all is said and done . . . but I am feeling a bit more optimistic about this PhD.

Thank goodness!

I basted two of the other quilt tops together this afternoon and hope to get started quilting on the one first thing tomorrow morning.  I'd really like to get it done by Monday and move on to the second one . . . these two have a deadline while the one above is "just a project" and can wait in line for a few more weeks.

Oh btw, how many of you have been over to Anne Sutton's blog to get your free copy of Henrietta Whiskers - block number one is now available and the cuteness is indescribable!  This is the first of nine BOM patterns and if the first one is anything to go by, I've just added another project to my list of things to do in 2011.  Go have a peek . . .

Wishing everyone a productive weekend . . . happy sewing!

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

The applique has made such a difference, hasn't it! It takes the focus off the piecing and places it on the picture instead, it looks great. Will that be all the applique or do you plan to have a few petals and leaves scattered here and there?

Annette said...

I like it alot! Turned out very cute.

Lorraine said...

I love it....the applique is simple but ties it all together.

joan said...

Gorgeous.. I love the colors!

Myra said...

I like this PhD Marlene!!! Love the colors/fabrics! 8-)
Thanks for the heads up on Anne's BOM!!!
Hope you are having a great weekend!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Perfect appliqué...really lifts the whole quilt to another level!

SewHappyGeek said...

Hey, I gave you a blog award, because I love the blog! Check it out if you get a minute. :) www.excellcrafts.blogspot.com