Monday 21 March 2011

Class is Out!

DSC07241

Some of you will remember that this was my first finish over at Myra’s PhD Challenge (see sidebar).  This was also the demo quilt for a beginner’s workshop that Sheila and I have been teaching over the past three Saturday’s.

DSC07234

This is Deanne’s quilt all ready to move on to the next phase.  She unknowingly, as a first time quilter, went to the fabric store and chose batiks.  She went in and picked what she liked and then almost dropped over at the cash register when the total purchase came up!  I guess we should have had a class in that as well . . . good news is that it was the fabric that she loved and that makes all the difference in the world.

Copy of DSC07208

This quilt belongs to Wendy who is not a beginner quilter but came to cheer on her friend Susan – what a great friend!  This quilt reminds me of a cottage country garden – very serene and restful.

Copy of DSC07212

And this is Susan’s quilt – Wendy’s friend.  She fell in love with the black and white prints and that gorgeous hot pink and I think it’s easy to see why!  A very striking quilt that makes a statement.  Love it!

I wasn’t handy with the camera when Angie and Julie had their quilts laid out, but I will catch them in April when everyone is coming back to learn how to use up the scraps from this quilt to make another one.

I think there are a few patterns around the quilting world for this pattern and the second one but what we did was take a 12-pack of fat quarters, plus some yardage, and calculated it all out so that you get a 60”x60” quilt (as shown - “All Cooped Up”) and . . .

DSC06895

a 50” x 50” quilt called “Stiks” which is like a stacked coins quilt.  I love getting two quilts from one package of fabric and they are both so different.

DSC07222

I also want to thank everyone who sent condolences on the loss of our Shadow.  It is an adjustment when we’re used to seeing someone everyday for 19 years and then they are no longer there.  We had her cremated and she is now home again and that makes me settled.

No comments: