Wednesday 20 February 2008

Bits and Pieces . . .

Here we are - half way through this week and I'm just getting around to posting!

I've been on a bit of a sewing streak that has been good for the soul . . . finishing a few quilt tops that have needed done for quite some time. I am still not going to show you everything though, some of the ones I have finished will not be shown for quite some time to come.

This is the quilt that I was working at around Christmas time that was using the leftovers from my mother-in-law's Christmas present. I ran out of some colors and ended up having to purchase the lighter print for the border - but then it looked so plain that I needed to use up even more scraps and make stars in a bunch of different sizes, plus little circles scattered about. I like it . . . it is bright, fun and happy - just what everyone needs through the winter months. At least I'm seeing this as a "winter" quilt, not just a Christmas quilt, and plan to have it out all through the cold months next year.

I still need to take some photos of the demos that we worked on through last Saturday's workshop - quite fun and interesting. Yvette was a wonderful teacher and I have once again developed a greater appreciation for pastel quilts. The quilts that she brought to show us were so pastel and . . . almost calming. Can a quilt create calm? Somehow there were a couple that were just that. I need to get together some pastels and sew up a bed quilt - maybe it would help me sleep at night.

I know my camera wasn't set right the other (early) morning when I took this little picture but I thought I'd share anyway. These are all little items from my mother's sewing cabinet that I have created a little memory shelf of. I always think of her when this catches my eye - some memories are good, aren't they?

Who doesn't like roses? I know it's long after Valentine's Day, but I just had to share these beauties. Everyone knows that you are supposed to get red roses for Valentine's Day but my husband knows that I have a preference to yellow roses, so he threw one lonesome one into the bunch - what a wonderful little addition.

'til next time,

M.

No comments: