Monday 15 September 2008

Chocolate Mooses and Quilts

Guess where I was over the weekend . . .

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan!

Everyone from Manitoba is familiar with Moose Jaw . . . but there are probably a few that have never had the pleasure of visiting this little city. For those from other parts of the world, this is one place you should stop in to visit if you're ever out and about on the Canadian Prairies. Not only are there quilt shops, but there are a variety of very interesting tourist stops also. So over the next couple of days I will touch on some of the highlights that we saw on our weekend away.

The first quilt shop I stopped in at was The Quilt Patch. Please stop by their website: http://www.thequiltpatch.ca/ and have a look at the wonderful patterns they have . . . most are designed by staffers. The quilt shown on the wall here is a block of the month quilt (6 months) and starts in November. I have signed up for this - my first block of the month I have ever participated in . . . so if you sign up for it also, please let me know and we can keep tabs on each other! It is part quilting cottons and wool appliques . . . very, very nice . . . I can't wait 'til November though . . . would be fun to get started sooner. I even bought a small little wool pillow kit, just so I could get some practice in - I'll show you next time.

This was a class that they held last year I believe - Flowers Around New York. One of the girls in the Brandon group bought the kit and made it - very, very stunning! I also made one that was quite similar using the Kansas Troubles fabric line - turned out beautiful (still need to quilt it though). This kit is available on their website.

The quilt featured here is also available on their site and is called Hannah Bella - very pretty with the browns and pinks. The fabric selection was wonderful throughout the store . . . lots of fat quarters, jelly rolls and yardage. There was even a classroom and Christmas corner upstairs - well worth the visit if you're ever in Moose Jaw. The Quilt Patch was also featured in a past issue of the Quilt Sampler magazine and the staff were very friendly - my husband had to pull me out of this place!

I have so many things to tell you . . . but I can't do it all in one day . . .

'til next time,

M.

2 comments:

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Any of my friends who go to Moose Jaw rave about The Cotton Patch. I know it's popular. Loved the pics.

Myra said...

Ooooo yummy photos! I have a friend that visits quilt shops in Saskatchewan quite often... I hear alot of good stuff!
Lucky you to have been able to make a trip there... 8-)
Happy stitchings!