Monday 2 February 2009

Happy Groundhog Day!

Six more weeks of winter predicted . . . not so happy about that.

Groundhog day is also my daughter's birthday - Happy Birthday, Candace!

Twenty-five years ago today was ABSOLUTELY the happiest day of my life when this special little lady was brought into this world. She grew into quite a little rascal by the age of two and even more so at 25!

So while she was visiting over the weekend, between shopping, movies and eating (of course!), I was able to get the binding all sewn on this BIG pillow. I don't even have a pillow form large enough to fit inside this one, and I'm certainly not going to make one that big, so my shopping list just got a little bit longer.

I even had to make my own covered buttons - a first for me. Very simple . . . so I'll be doing more of that in the future. I also made buttonholes for the first time in ages and the Pfaff had no problems helping me through that new phase. It's been a long time since I've done any garment sewing so these little tasks appeared huge to me until I got busy and did them.

This pattern is FREE from the Don't Look Now blog and I just love it! The fabric I used was all scraps and it turned out so bright and cheerful looking, although it is looking just a little bit out of place during these dull Winter days. It will be my happy reminder that Spring will be here in six weeks or so.

The technique is raw-edge applique and I've done it once or twice before, but not a lot. So you'll have to forgive some of the squiggles here and there, but really they all blend in in the grand scheme of things. The little bead eye finishes off the cute bird perfectly and . . .

. . . there's a matching one on the back of the pillow also. Kellie did a wonderful job with this little design - it is fun, bright, easy and satisfying. So if you haven't been for a visit to her blog yet, make a little side trip and go see her.

'til next time,

M.

5 comments:

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Your pillow turned out bright and cheery! Will go and check out the link; thanks for sharing it!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter! It is my daughter's birthday today too...she is turning 15! At that age, I know things are just starting to get interesting!!

Anne said...

Your pillow is absolutely adorable. Happy Birthday, Candace.

Kellie said...

It looks lovely! Well done!

Fer said...

Thanks for the link Marline, it's a gorgeous pattern.

Happy birthday to Candace as well! :o)