Saturday 14 July 2007

As promised . . .

Here are my little sketches for the snowman blocks that I MIGHT use. It's always hard to tell until you actually start cutting up the fabric and trying to put it back together. There are actually five drawings there, but you can only see parts of four. Not sure what I'll do for the other two months - stars, maybe. I really like snowmen though!

Well, today has nothing to do with snowmen! Today is our town's annual "Pound, Pail, and Paddle" day. Wawanesa is located in a valley and is completely surrounded (on three sides) by the Souris River. So for quite a number of years they have a parade, social, roast beef supper and sell boat packages. Now these boat packages consist of all the same materials, usually plastic, barrels of some kind, other miscellaneous materials and of course some wood. It is usually teams that purchase the packages and they have from 9 a.m. to 12 Noon to build the perfect boat. It goes without saying that some of these creations are quite unique and do not float for very long. That's the fun part!

At 1:00 p.m. they start the competition to find out who's boat can make it to the finish line - each boat has two members of the team (one pailing out the water and one paddling) plus they have to switch positions in the boat 1/2 way through the course. They even have a "powder puff" where the girls/women try their hand at making it the finish line in one of the boats that will still float. I hate that term "powder puff" - sounds so neanderthal.

Weather sounds great . . . the beer garden will be open - should be a good day!

Plus my son (Brennan, almost 21) is home from Winnipeg. Hope to have him help me out on one of my projects - he's taking Graphic Design and I need to pick his brain about a few things.

Have a great weekend! (I'll post some "boating" pictures on Monday)

No comments: