Tuesday 4 November 2008

More Mysteries . . .

The next "clue" in Myra's Mystery has now been posted and this is what I have so far.

Now I have to wait until next Monday to see how it is all going to go together. I'm really enjoying this little side project that is completely different to the other things I'm working on. It only takes a short time to do each step and then you set it aside until the next clue comes along and then you do a bit more. As long as I don't lose any of the pieces before the end, I'll make it through with flying colors - I hope!

I have trimmed all the edges on my Dad's Christmas quilt now and cut the binding strips this morning before work. I hope to get them all sewn on tonight and then work on the hand stitching part over the next week or so.

See the little raggy trees there in the background and the cute snowman - this is such a fun project! I love the flannel . . . it is so soft and cuddly.

Machine applique is one of my very favorite things to do . . . it is so tidy and quick and looks fantastic on flannel. I did have a picture of the whole quilt right here and then deleted it. The colors just weren't quite right so I'll try and get a better one and show you soon.
Any pointers on washing a flannel quilt with raggy seams? I've been picking little pieces off the quilt for the past couple of weeks and I can only imagine how messy this is going to get in the washer and dryer.
I know lots of quilters have made the raggy quilts, but I've never asked just what the process was after it was all quilted. There are not a lot of raggy seams on this quilt - only the trees, so it won't be as bad as the ones with all the exposed seams. Do I just throw it in and see what happens? Or should it be washed on delicate and only partially dried by machine? Any pointers are really appreciated!
I also got started on the Christmas placemat project and I'm just about ready to start doing a bit of applique on it - hopefully tonight also. I'm only trying one of this pattern to see how it turns out and whether I like it enough to make a few more. I'll keep you posted on the progress . . .
'til next time,
M.

2 comments:

Myra said...

Don't know about the washing of a flannel with raggies on it, but I do know that when drying it you need to clean out the fluff/lint trap every 10 minutes or so...
I can't wait to get the mystery done now... Heck! If I feel like this for a small mystery, I can imagine how I would be for a big one!!! Not good! 8-)
Try to enjoy this yucky day!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see more of your mystery quilt! And your dad's Christmas quilt is looking so great. I made a flannel quilt for my husband a few years ago and he loves it! Flannel adds so much more softness and weight to a quilt. I'd say just wash it like you do any quilt. If you're too gentle with the washing the trees might not get as raggy as you'd like, I'm guessing... Looking forward to seeing the whole thing! x