Monday, 5 October 2009

Another New Project . . .

and what a project it’s turning out to be!

DSC04321

This is a pattern by Dereck Lockwood called “Links” that will end up being 48”x66”.  Let’s just say that I’ve still got a ways to go – even after the rows are all in place everything will need sewn together.  I’ve got my fingers crossed that things don’t end up wonky – has anyone out there done one of these and are there any secrets you could send my way?  I’ve got my spray starch at the ready for when I start sewing the rows together – someone told me that may help.

 DSC04326

I have another 18 rows to do . . . after the first 4 or 5 rows we got into our own routines as to what worked best for cutting, sewing and labeling and then things started to move a tiny bit quicker.  Fortunately I have not had to unsew very much . . . only a couple of little blurps to report.  I’m really liking the way it’s coming together and hope that it finishes up flat enough to hang on my wall.  I think it will be very striking!  Everyone keeps asking about my fringe and whether it’s going to stay like that – well, no it’s not – that just happened to be the size of flannel that I put up – should have used the 2 yard piece I guess.

 DSC04324

This close up is Gail’s bargello with a completely different color palette . . . see how her pinks are jumping out whereas in mine it is the yellow?  The color combinations make them look so different!

 DSC04328

This is Ramona’s gorgeous Halloween quilt . . . I think those witches really do look a lot like me and that it should come and live at my house.  It’s going to make a nice colorful statement for the Halloween season – love the colors!

 DSC04304

Oh, I found out some more information on my “new machine”.  I phoned Singer and gave them the serial number on the machine and she told me that it was made on November 23, 1896 in Montreal, Canada and that it is a Model 27-2 if I was looking for a manual for it.  The patents on the throat plate are for that specific part of the machine and not for the whole machine, so that was interesting to learn.  Unfortunately I was not able to learn anything about the cabinet – still not sure whether it was made by Singer or another company or in what year.  Still love it though and will keep looking for some more history on it.

Back to my strips tonight . . . at least for a short time.  They’re going to haunt me until they’re done!

‘til next time,

M.

5 comments:

Vicki W said...

I love the bargello. I've been pondering several project ideas for my hand dyes but I think maybe IU should do a bargello.

Peg said...

The bargello is beautiful. The machine is what caught my eye - I have one that my mother bought in about 1955 from the original owner, and has a letter from Singer certifying it as made in 1895. The cabinet isn't as large as yours, and is missing a couple of drawer pulls, but the machine doesn't fold down rather it is covered by a 'hood' that has to be removed. There are very few machines of this age around in decent shape - lucky you to have found that one. I'll try to post pictures on my blog, if you'd like to see it.

Karen said...

The new machine is a beauty. The cabinet is a bit unusual but oh so nice.
I did a bargello quilt top similar to what you are working on. I did not have much luck when I sewed the rows together. They created their own twist.

Myra said...

Congrats on that gorgeous sewing machine M! It's lovely! What a wonderful looking piece of furniture it is too!!! 8-)

Your Bargello is looking awesome! Love the colors! The only advice I can give you, from what my friends say that have made them, is sew each strip on starting on the opposite end of the last strip to avoid twisting...

Happy stitchings!

Vals Quilting said...

Wow that is an incredible sewing machine...I love collecting old machine but I think my oldest is a Singer from the early 1900's treadle.

Valerie
http://www.pastimesonline.ca/vals-quilting

PS love your bargello