Thursday 30 August 2007

Applique . . . Anyone?

How many appliquer's are out there? Which method do you prefer? The fusible web and blanket stitch are fun and easy; needle turn is time consuming, but very neat; freezer paper method isn't too bad - maybe a little messy with gluing the seam allowance back (at least for me!). I've been playing with the fusible web method - actually the snowmen shown in previous posts were done with this method. Nice and quick, neat and easy - couldn't ask for more.

These are my very, very favorite applique books - I haven't made anything out of any of these books, but I do love to sit and flip through them - just for inspiration! Kim's (Diehl) designs are wonderful, detailed and folksy - I need to make one of these - just can't decide which one!

Cherie's (Ralston) are the same, but of course, all the designs are themed around "stars" - there are even punchneedle patterns and painting items (my daughter actually made the painted item - I'll get a picture for next time - it turned out wonderful!)

This book by Janet Pittman covers many techniques and really goes into the embellishment stitching, very cool! There are some great patterns in here for inspiration also - one quilt is done with a shadow type of applique and it is definitely something I'm going to have to try.

Have any of you used these books? Which pattern should I try? If you've done a project, send me a picture - I'd love to see it!

Till next time,
M

No comments: